Our Wellness Program is designed to educate, entertain and inspire our Customers to explore healthy options. All food demonstrations and cooking classes are free.
See our Events page for full schedule. Bring a friend to share in the fun!
Wellness at The Market at 25th... your key to a lifetime of health.
Through our partnerships with The Health Hub from VCU Health, The American Heart Association, Virginia Fresh Match or Shop Smart Eat Smart from The Virginia Cooperative Extension, we are able to offer informative programming, classes and tours to our customers, all at zero cost. Keep an eye on our Events Calendar for updates on Wellness at The Market at 25th.
American Heart Month 2020: High Blood Pressure Control
from the VCU Health / RHWP Pharmacy Students
What is high blood pressure or hypertension?
● High blood pressure is when the force of your blood is constantly too high in your blood vessels
How common is high blood pressure?
● 1 in 3 adults in the United States have high blood pressure
● About 70% of adults over the age of 65 years have high blood pressure
What can uncontrolled high blood pressure lead to?
● Heart disease
● Vision damage
● Kidney disease
● Possible death
What are the signs or symptoms of high blood pressure?
● High blood pressure is known as the “silent killer.”
● High blood pressure usually has no signs or symptoms.
● It is important to know your blood pressure numbers to know if you are at risk.
What are the risk factors for high blood pressure?
● Family history
● Age: risk increases with age
● Gender: more common in men before age 64, more common in women over age 65
● Race: African Americans
● Chronic kidney disease
How can you prevent high blood pressure and protect your heart?
● Talk to your healthcare provider about setting attainable blood pressure goals
● Check daily and start logging your blood pressure values
● Make sure to keep taking your blood pressure medications
● Eat healthier - lots of fruits and veggies! Try to limit saturated fats
● Reduce salt intake
● Get active, American Heart Association recommends at least 90-150 mins of aerobic exercise a week (check with healthcare provider first)
● Maintain a healthy weight and talk to your provider about your weight loss goals
● Visit RHWP Clinic to get your blood pressure checked weekly for free!!